Friday, September 23, 2011

In their language...

Family, God (youth group), and teaching, these are the things that are important to me.  Whenever I can combine these, it is always a great moment for me.  This morning, while I was searching on line for a devotion for my teenage daughter, I came across a web site that seemed to have some interesting and challenging thinking.  I really liked todays devotion, which had to do with working out (another passion of mine, that has been put on hold because of my impending back surgery-though I have been able to swim a couple times a week-Thank God!).


So I copied the link, emailed the devotion to a friend of mine who runs a small group for high school boys, and also facebooked it to a boy whom I thought would really get a lot out of it (we talk about working out,  health and fitness all the time).  This is something that I do often, and in turn I am often the recipient of such online wisdom when others come across it.  On facebook we may comment, and others usually join in, or at least "like" it.  In an email, it may be a more private conversation.  Interestingly this devotion was set up so you could blog about it.  I am posting the link here, On Line Devotion, not so my classmates can be influenced by the "religious" information (though, I am willing to discuss that too), but so you all can see what such a site it like.  I thought about how quickly and easily I  used technology to connect this information to others, and what is possible on this site.  This is just what we have been talking about in our Intro to Teaching with Digital Tools class.  This site makes it possible for students to discuss topics that are important to them, with the added possibility of a knowledgeable adult, the pastor, to consult.  All of this is common to my youth group experience, as well as my "religious" experience.  The youth pastor that I work with is constantly twitting and blogging, and sending me links to such digital literature to discuss.  Friends email me links with information, questions, and quotes. I use an online study bible web site for a lot of my personal bible study.  So why are we so behind in schools?!  Why is it so hard to work technology into education?  I have been a youth  leader for almost 20 years, and I have always been told to "speak the students language" if I want them to listen.  This language has changed considerably through out the 20 years, but the need has not. My mode of conversation has dramatically changed from phone calls and notes, to Facebook and texting.  I am still sending a message of how much God and I care, but I do it in their chosen verbiage. Why do we expect students in school to speak our language, and don't try to communicate with them in their's?
 

9 comments:

  1. Devra,

    Good first post! I really like how you paralleled the idea of technology as a new literacy in the 21st century like we heard in the the Jukes and Richards videos, as well as in our reading for Module 2. The Online Devotion site is a great example of this communication at work. I think there is some extra comfort found in communicating with peers in a quick and convenient way. It allows for more reflection on topics learned and practiced in group activities, regardless of the type of group.

    I think the problem with implementing these 'casual' types of communications in education are the dangers involved with online tools, security, and identity of younger students. It is very scary for schools to promote online communicating when they have seen the bullying and negative things that can come from it. It will take a while to convince schools of the importance and usefulness of these tools and courses like this will help arm professionals with knowledge about using them for the good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in agreement with Sandra on this. Security and the like are things that schools are dealing with right now. Some are doing a fantastic job keeping students safe while others have no safeguards in place. And in some cases, schools have a very conservative approach to all of this and ban these types of things from their schools all together.

    I certainly do not approve of the last method but I see why they do it. If you don't have any mention of blogging, wikis, or the like, there won't be an issue with these things. But what are you losing by sacrificing these 21st century tools? I think quite a lot. The positives outweigh the negatives in all aspects. It is just that the internet is like the old Wild West - no real authority and everyone can pretty much do what they want. Even though the federal government has measures put in place, it is our job to educate our students in not only how to use these tools but how to do so safely and intelligently.

    If something inappropriate pops up on a webpage, our students must know how to click the back button without making a fuss. If they want to use the tech, they need to treat it with respect and dignity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, nice blog Devra!

    Mr. C., I agree, we need to prepare our students how to react to technology appropriately as you said by sometimes using the back button. As you know, filters won't filter out everything and the only other option is not using the technologies. I believe the good far outweighs the negative but you do want to put safeguards in place such as acting as a site moderator to monitor the blog posts.

    As Sandra says, issues of bullying are of concern and inappropriate words are potentially damaging. Teachers can use other methodologies to minimize inappropriate sites and images and should whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Devra,
    I agree with you completely. Our class has begun to open my eyes up to the fact that technology and online communication and collaboration is all around us and can be used for many benficial things, including educational opportunities. The website that you linked is an awesome idea, however I do agree with Sandra as far as the openness of the site (issues like privacy, bullying, etc.)
    The one thing that you said that spoke to me was the following, "speak the students' language if I want them to listen". This is one of the most important aspects of being a good teacher, in my opinion. Your ability to relate to your students reflects their ability to respect you and your teaching. By including opportunities for students to work collaboratively through the use of online blogging, chats, etc., students will realize that you are taking into consideration their situations, likes and dislikes, which will in turn breed a more positive and effective learning commmunity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Devra --

    Your blog is really well-laid out, and user-friendly. I think your integration of pictures and text make everything flow very nicely. The personal touch that you have added is very nice as well. I think it's awesome how you're using technology to spread The Word, that's exactly what our youth needs these days; someone to speak their langauge (as you mentioned)!

    The Devotion site is really great as well, and seems to really play into the multi-sensory aspect of our youth. There's a lot going on, but yet it's all laid out nicely. I do agree with Sandra, in the public system there is a looming threat of cyber bullying, and even lawsuits for teachers. And with NJ's latest laws about bullying, every little sideways glance from one student to another is considered 'potential bullying' and must be reported. You are very fortunate to work in a freer environment, and I wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Devra,
    I found your blog very enjoyable to read because you communicate about yourself and your values in a very honest way. I like how you embedded the link within a rich context that explains your role as a youth leader. You then, appropriately, talk about how that has changed with the advent of 21st Century skills. Your comments make me that much more aware of how vital it is to reach younger people using their own vernacular. Thank you.

    I think the blog is very clear and uncluttered. Maybe in the future you can add just a quick explanation of the photos. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Language Lover, thanks for the suggestion to explain the photos. I don't know why I didn't do that?! Even though it is after the fact: The first is my family, the second is part of my youth group on a mission trip to Boston, and the last is a group of students who made an ugly quilt (which would make a great blog post in itself...).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Book blogs are great literacy vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Devera,
    I was first drawn in by the title of your blog and I admire your desire to use technology and devotion to bring warmth and wisdom to those you care about. When I first read the title I was thinking about it in the context of education but the caring piece is a clear parallel. It is so important to create a caring environment for those we educate, from kindergarten through college. Unfortunately, the tragedy at Rutgers may have been avoided if we worked hard to create a more caring and inclusive society. It makes me think how we can use technology to connect with kids and for kids to connect with one another. You did that in your blog, you connected with others in an almost effortless way. You have certainly given me a lot to think about, nice post.

    ReplyDelete